Ill—PARGANA MATHURA.* THE Mat'hara pargana is the last of the three lying to the west of the Jamuna. It is the largest in the district^ comprising as many as 247 villages and town- ships, with a population of 220,307 and an area of 401 square miles. Under the Jat and Mahratta Governments of last century its present an*a was in five divisions—Aring, Sonkh? Sonsa, Gobardhan, and Farrah ; Aring being the jdgir of Baja Bai, the queen of Daulat Rao Sindliia, who (if local traditions are to be believed) inherited all the ferocious qualities of her infamous father Gat- gay Shirzi Rao, the prepetrator of the massacre of Puna. In 1803, when the country was ceded to the Company, two parganas were formed, Mathura and Aring, \vhich were put under a single TaMldar, wlio was stationed at the latter place; and this arrangement continued till 1808. when his office was transferred to its present more appropriate location at the capital. The 84 villages, that had previously constituted the Farrah parganah of the Agra district, were added in 1878. The first settlement was assessed at Rs. 5,149 for Mathnnt and Rs. 98,885 for Aring, making a total of Rs. 1,04,034, which was gradually increased to Rs. 2,14,336 ; the actual area also having undergone considerable change. For, in 1828, after the conclusion of the war with Durjan Sal, 15 villages on the Bharatpur border were annexed, and about the same time several mudji estates in the neighbourhood of Mathura were resumed. The first contractor for the Government revenue was a local magnate, whose name is still occasion- ally quoted, Chaube Rudra-man, who? after one year, was succeeded by-Khattri Beni Rani. In addition to the City, it includes within its limits some of the most no- table places in the district—such as Brinda-ban, Grobardhan, and Radha-kund__ as also several large and populous villages which are of modem growth and have no special characteristic beyond their mere size, as Parson, Phendar, Usphar and others, each with two or three thousand inhabitants. The principal landed proprietors are the trustees of the Sethis temple at Brinda-ban : Gosain Puru- shottam Lai of Gokul; the Eaja of Awa ; the heirs of the Lala Babu, in *InDr. Hunter's Imperial Gazetteer, under the letter S, between an article on Sadiya ia Assam and one on Sadras in the Madras Presidency, f heic is a brief notice with the curious bead- infif S^DS. This is described *s beiag the south-western tahsil of the Mathuri district ; as if tluire were not necebsaril/ a sadr, Le. a aomee or headquarters, tahsil in every dibtrict in India.